The battery on your Harley Sportster died and you want to know how to change the battery. You do not have to take your Harley to the dealer and have them replace your battery. This would take more work than it is worth. Changing the battery on your Harley Sportster is simple enough for you to do it yourself.
What You Will Need
- New battery
- Philips head screwdriver
- Socket set
- Wrench set
- Work gloves
- Secure your Harley Sportster by putting on the kickstand. There is a Philips screw on the back of your Harley Sportster seat. You need to remove the screw to remove your seat. You need to remove the seat to get to the old battery. You will slide the seat backwards to remove the seat from your Harley Sportster.
- Remove the strap from the battery. Remove the bolt that holds the battery cover on the battery. Remove the bolt using your socket set or one of your wrenches. Place the bolt, screw, and washer in your pocket for safe keeping. Put the strap and battery cover to the side.
- Lift the battery up and take off the positive and negative battery cables from your Harley Sportster battery. Use your sockets to loosen the battery cables. Lift the battery out of the Harley Sportster and set the old battery to the side.
- Take your new battery and place it into the battery case. Remove any caps which may be on the top of the battery. Lift the battery up to connect the positive and negative battery cables to the battery. Use your socket set to tighten the bolts on the positive and negative battery cables.
- Reinstall the battery cover and battery strap on your Harley sportster. Take the Bolt and washer out of your pocket and secure the strap with your wrench. Make sure everything is secure.
- Slide the seat back on to your Harley Sportster motorcycle. Take the screw out of your pocket and tighten it into the back of the seat. You have finished installing the new battery on your Harley Sportster motorcycle. Drive your motorcycle normally.
- Dispose of old battery properly. Buy a battery charger to keep your new battery charged up. Motorcycles are very hard on batteries.
- Install new battery yourself to save money
- Buy a battery charger to improve the life of your new battery
- Use work gloves when working on your motorcycle
- Secure the screws in your pocket for safe keeping
- Dispose of old battery properly-take it back to the store you bought your new battery and receive your core charge back
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …