- Range Rover: How To Change Water Pump
- How to Fix Honda Odyssey Sliding Door
- How To Change Timing Belt On 2004 Honda Accord 4 Cylinder
- How To Change Brake Pads On A 2000 Honda Accord
- How To Replace Transmission Control Unit In 1991 Honda Accord
- How to Replace Head Gasket on a Honda
- How to Remove Honda Civic Window Glass
How to Change Honda Transmission Fluid
You want to know how to change Honda transmission fluid. Changing the transmission fluid on your Honda is not as hard as it seems. It is actually a simple process once you learned it for the first time. Hands on men or women can do this job with ease.
Things You Will Need To Change Honsa Transmission Fluid
- Floor jack
- Jack stands
- New transmission fluid
- Large drain pan
- Leather gloves
- Car manual
- Shop towels
- Large container to transport old transmission fluid to appropriate disposal area
- New drain plug and washer
- Transmission filter
- Drive your Honda to heat it up. This will make the transmission fluid flow easier. Drive your Honda in to your garage. Jack your car up. Put Jack stands under each tire to make sure the car is level.
- Open up the hood on your Honda. Secure the hood with the safety arm. Take the materials you bought at the auto parts store and get them ready for use. Put the large drain pan under the Honda and beneath the transmission.
- Locate the plug in the transmission of your Honda. Find the correct socket and take the plug out of your transmission. You turn the plug counter clockwise to get the plug out of the transmission. Wear your leather gloves because the transmission fluid will come out hot. Let the transmission fluid flow out of the car and into the large drain pan.
- Replace the old drain plug with a new drain plug and washer. Clean up around the bottom of the transmission with shop towels. Clean up any transmission fluid you may have spilled on the ground. Take the old transmission fluid and pour it into a large container so you can dispose of the old transmission fluid at the appropriate place.
- Check your car manual for the specifications of your Honda. Put the appropriate amount of (premium Honda) transmission fluid back into your car. Use a funnel to put the transmission fluid into your Honda. Clean up any spillage.
- Jack your car back up. Take out the car jacks. Jack your car back down. Put the hood down. Start your car and let it idle for a time long enough to get the car hot. Change the gears and see how the transmission feels. Check the dipstick and make sure the fluid level is at the hot position. If not, you may have to add a little more fluid. Take the car for a test drive and make sure the gears change correctly. You are finished.
- Wear leather gloves
- Clean up excess fluid
- Dispose of old transmission fluid properly
- Check your car manual for correct amount of transmission fluid
- Use the correct type of transmission fluid
Posted on: Jun. 16, 2010