How To Change The Oil In A 1999 Harley Sportster
For a smooth running bike, you will need to know how to change the oil in a 1999 Harley Sportster on a regular basis. The entire process can be completed in less than an hour and will ensure the bike will run smoothly. It is important to change the oil in an open area to avoid the possibility of built up fumes that will escape when the bike is started.
To change the oil in a 1999 Harley Sportster, you will need:
- A new oil filter
- A pan with a minimum capacity of four quarts
- Three quarts of oil (or manufactures recommended amount)
Your 1999 Harley Sporster
- Start your 1999 Harley Sportster and allow it to warm up to the normal operating temperature.
- To locate the drain hose, look under the left side of the bike, the side with the primary cover and shifter, there will be a rubber hose that dead ends into the frame. The hose is held on with a hose clamp.
- Remove the hose clamp from the 1999 Harley Sportster and allow the oil to drain into the pan.
- Remove the oil filler plug to vent the crankcase and allow the oil to drain faster.
- When the oil is drained, clamp the hose back to the frame. Remove the old oil filter and all oil to drain into the pan.
- Put a light coating of oil on the rubber gasket located on the filter and screw the new filter on.
- Only tighten the filter by hand, do not use a wrench. Pour the new oil into the oil fill.
- You typically need quarts of oil unless the manufacturer suggests otherwise.
- Replace the oil filler plug and start the engine to check for leaks.
Tip: to keep your 1999 Harley Sportster running smooth, it is recommended that you change the oil approximately once every three months.