How To Change The Oil In A 883 Harley Sportster
Are you wondering how to change the oil in a 883 Harley Sportster? Investing in a Harley Davidson service manual is recommended. You should change the oil in an 883 Harley Sporster every 5,000 miles. Which oil you choose to use is a matter of preference.
What you'll need:
- drip pan or container
- fresh oil (about 3 quarts) standard or synthetic
- oil filter or a strap wrench
- oil filter
- Run your 883 Harley Sportster. Warm the engine and oil up a bit. The oil will drain faster.
- Remove the cap. Remove the oil fill cap/dipstick.
- Place the drip pan under the 883 Harley Sporster. Make sure to place the drip pan under the front of the frame, centering it.
- Place the wrench on the oil filter and turn. Use a counter clockwise motion until the it is loose enough to hand turn. Slowly unscrew the oil filter entirely. Place the oil filter upside down in the drip pan.
- Allow oil to drain. While the oil is draining, check for oil on the sending unit and oil case when it is done. Use a rag to wipe this as needed.
- Place the drip pan under the oil drain hose. This is located under the swingarm and behind the clutch. Use a counter clockwise motion to unscrew the worm cap, until the hose can be pulled off.
- Pull the oil drain hose. Gently pull until if is off and the oil will flow into the drip pan.
- Replace the drain hose. Tighten and replace the worm cap. Tighten by using a clockwise motion.
- Rub a small amount of oil on the rubber gasket. Place about 3 oz. of oil in the new oil filter. Place on the oil pump by using a clockwise motion. Tighten firmly by hand.
- Fill the oil tank. Use the remaining oil to fill the tank. Replace the oil filler cap/dipstick.
- Eliminate air bubble. Reloosen the old drain hose. Allow a bit of oil to drip out into the drip pan. Retighten the worm clamp.
- Start the 883 Harley Sportster. Be certain the oil light is not on. Check for leaks around the oil filter and drain hose.