If you really want to impress the ladies, it is crucial to know how to change oil in a BMW. Your oil should be changed every 5,000 miles or so to ensure your BMW runs smoothly. Before you begin learning how to change oil in a BMW, it is important to gather the right equipment.
To change your oil, you will need:
- Socket wrench (size varies depending on model of the car)
- Bucket, pan, rags, or assortment of all three
- New filter
- New filter gaskets
- New oil (Full Synthetic Castrol 5W-30 is recommended for BMW)
Once these materials have been gathered, simply follow these steps to learn how to change your oil:
- Get rid of old oil. The first step in learning how to change oil in a BMW is getting rid of the old oil. Before new oil goes in, the old oil has to come out. To do this, locate the oil drain cap which is normally located closer to the back of the engine. Before letting the oil out make sure there is a bucket, pan, or old rags underneath the oil drain cap to catch the oil. Failure to do this can result in a stained garage or driveway. Another tip is to take off the oil filler cap so the oil drains out smoothly.
- Remove drain cap. Once this is all set up, it is time to use a socket wrench to remove the oil drain cap. Remember to turn the wrench counterclockwise to loosen the cap.
- Locate drain plug gasket. Once the cap is removed locate the drain plug gasket. This is usually made out of felt and is shaped like a washer. These should be replaced when you change your oil, so make sure to remove that as well.
- Remove the oil filter. These look different depending on the brands and are placed in different spots on different models. Once you locate it screw it out and make sure the filter gasket is attached to the filter. The first half of the process is now complete.
- Drain the oil. Sit back and wait for the oil to drain, then move on to the next steps in learning how to change oil in a BMW.
- Replace the filters and gaskets. Now it is time to put the new filter and gaskets back in place. When putting the filter in, rub some new oil over the filter gasket to make sure it fits in smoothly and will not get worn down and leak.
- Replace the drain cap. Next, screw on the oil drain cap. Make sure that everything is on tightly and correctly so there is not any leakage, but also be careful not to put the cap on too tightly or the threading on the cap will be ruined.
- Put in new oil. Once the oil drain cap is securely replaced, it is time to put in the new oil. Put a funnel into the open fill cap and pour in the new oil. Once it is full replace the fill cap.
- Start the car. The last step in learning how to change oil in a BMW is starting your car. Make sure the check oil light goes off and that there isn't any oil dripping from the car. If the light is off and the car is drip free then the oil change has been completed successfully and your BMW is good to go.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …