Learn how to change oil on a Harley 883 Sportster in order to save money in maintenance costs. Changing your own motorcycle oil is a very simple task that requires a few hand tools and some fresh engine oil. You should change your oil every 3000 to 5000 miles or when recommended by your service manual. Follow these steps to change the oil on your Harley 883 Sportster.
To change oil on a Harley 883 Sportster, you will need:
- Oil drain pan
- Wrench set
- Oil filter removal tool
- Oil filter
- Fresh engine oil
- Drive your Harley 883 Sportster for 15 to 20 minutes to warm up the engine. It is always best to change the oil when the engine is still warm.
- Locate the engine drain hose beneath the swing-arm and behind the clutch. You can find the engine oil drain plug at the bottom of the engine. Check your owners manual if you are having trouble locating it.
Place an oil drain pan beneath the engine oil drain hose. Remove the engine oil drain hose with a wrench or socket wrench. Adjust the drain pan so all of the oil drains into the drain pan.
- Hold the hose in a vertical position so that the engine oil drains faster. Open the oil dipstick/filler cap. Continue to allow the hose to drain until it slows to a drip. Reconnect the oil drain hose.
- Locate the engine oil filter. Adjust the oil drain pan so that it is beneath the filter. Remove the filter with an oil filter removal tool if you are having trouble removing it with your hands. Allow the excess oil from the filter connection to drain into the oil pan.
- Clean the mating surface of the oil filter using a rag. Condition the new oil filter o-ring with fresh oil and pour 4 ounces of oil into the filter.
- Screw on the new oil filter. Tighten it to specifications.
- Add approximately 2 quarts and 28 ounces of oil to the Sportster 883. Tighten the oil dipstick/filler cap.
- Start the motorcycle and allow the oil to cycle through the engine. Inspect your work, ensuring there are no leaks and no check engine lights on the Sportster control panel.
Oil prices went loco today because of broken pipelines, bad weather, weak dollaz, and stubborn Saudis. A new all-time ...
McQueen in Bullitt, The Great Escape, The Thomas Crown Affair and The Getaway There are numerous flavors of XY-chromo ...
How the cinematic icon turned fashion statements into declarations of independence onscreen. By David Fear