Here is a step by step guide for how to change rear brake pads on a 2004 Ford Expedition. While it is possible to do this with a jack, a ramp is recommended. When your brakes make screeching noises, it is time to replace the brake pads.
Things you'll need:
- Wrench set
- Socket set
- New brake pads
- Loosen the lug nuts on the rear wheels. Jack the vehicle up and fit it on axle stands or ramps. Use a C-clamp to clamp the caliper and the outer brake pad, which will ensure it is easier to remove when you lift the caliper off the brake rotor.
- Loosen the three retaining bolts holding the caliper to the axle stub. Do not let the caliper hang under its own weight by the brake pipes. Attach the caliper to the suspension leg using a zip-tie or another method of hanging the caliper. Slide the brake caliper off the brake rotor.
- Remove the anti-rattle spring and the brake pads from the aperture. Clean any debris and brake dust. It is important to wear eye and respiratory protection when cleaning brake dust off.
- Fit new brake pads (you might need to push the pistons back in) and rub copper grease on the backs of the brake pads to stop any squealing. Fit new anti-rattle springs. Use the C-clamp again to hold the caliper open, enabling you to slide it back onto the brake rotor. Refit the caliper retaining bolts and check that the brake line is not crimped or twisted in any way. Repeat this procedure for the opposite rear brake assembly, remembering the steps you have just performed.
- Install the road wheels, lower the car and test the brakes to make sure they have a good feel to them. It may take a few miles for the brake pads to bed-in and knock the first millimeter of abrasive material off before you feel the full effect of the new rear pads.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
10 Things to Talk About This Weekend
Ebola, Brad Pitt, and giant spiders.