How To Change Spark Plugs On A 1997 Ford Expedition
If you know how to change spark plugs on a 1997 Ford Expedition, then you can save a good deal on maintenance costs every 15,000 miles. Changing your spark plugs is important to the working condition of your vehicle and not changing your plugs can lead to bad electrical systems and poor performance. It is especially important to keep an eye on the plugs if you do any heavy duty towing or racing. Follow these steps to help you change the spark plugs on a 1997 Ford Expedition.
To change the spark plugs on your 1997 Ford Expedition, you will need:
- Socket wrench
- Deep well sockets
- Swivel joint
- Spark plug grease
- Plug gap measurement tool
- Torque wrench
- 1997 Expedition owner's manual
- 1997 Expedition service manual
- Park your vehicle and open the hood. Examine the engine and locate each spark plug. This is easy to do if you simply follow where each spark plug wire leads.
- Remove the plug wire from the front right spark plug. Only remove one plug wire at a time to keep from confusing them. Ensure that you can reach the plug from the engine bay. If not, crawl up under the front of the Expedition and see if you have access to the plug there.
- Remove the plug using a deep well socket and a socket wrench. Be gentle with the plug so you don't strip the bolt or shatter the ceramic portion of it. Use an extension or a swivel joint if you are having trouble getting the socket on the spark plug.
Examine the old spark plug and make sure that it oil or corrosion is not covering it. This can be a sign that your electrical system is bad or that you have an oil leak inside of the combustion chamber.
Measure the gap on the new spark plug with a plug gap measurement tool and adjust it accordingly. Apply spark plug grease to the end of the plug wire. You can find the correct gap measurement in your owner's manual.
- Insert the new spark plug where you removed the old plug and tighten it hand tight. Use your hands to make sure that the threads are properly lined. Check your owner's manual for the torque value of the plugs. Over-tightening spark plugs can crack the ceramic and cause them to misfire. Use a torque wrench to tighten the plug to specifications.
Re-apply the plug wire. You have successfully changed one spark plug in your 1997 Ford Expedition. Repeat this process seven more times so that you have new spark plugs in each of the eight cylinders.