Need to know how to change spark plugs in a 1999 Ford Escort? Change spark plugs on a 1999 Ford Escort every 20,000 miles to ensure smooth engine performance and better gas mileage. Old, clogged spark plugs interrupts the firing on all 4 cylinders of the engine thereby causing poor performance. Increased performance is immediately noted upon completion of this relatively easy repair.
You Will Need:
- 3/8 drive ratchet
- 5/8 spark plug ratchet
- Ratchet extension
- Turn the 1999 Ford Escort off and allow the engine to cool for at least 1-hour or until the engine is cool to the touch. Never change spark plugs when the engine is hot because there is a high degree of danger in getting burnt.
- Open the hood of the Ford Escort. Stabilize the hood so it does not fall back to a closed position.
- Locate the spark plugs. Find the 1999 Ford Escort spark plugs in the front of the engine. All 4 spark plugs run parallel to the radiator in a straight line.
- Remove the spark plug wires one at a time. Grasp the spark plug wires at the base, nearest to the spark plug itself and pull to remove.
- Use a 3/8-inch drive ratchet with a small extension and a 5/8 spark plug socket. Buy spark plug sockets at automotive supply stores and hardware stores.
- Place socket over the end of the spark plug, attach the extension to the socket. Use ratchet to turn in a counter clockwise direction and remove spark plug from the escort engine. Continue in the same manner for remaining spark plugs.
- Place new spark plug in the socket. Beginning turning in a clockwise direction by hand to ensure threads are not crossed. Attach ratchet and tighten to torque specifications of 22 pounds. Repeat for the remaining 3 spark plugs.
- Reattach the spark plug wire in the 1999 Ford Escort engine.
Gather all necessary tools and supplies before beginning this automotive repair. Success can be achieved by both experienced and inexperienced automotive mechanics alike. Change spark plugs on a 1999 Ford Escort regularly to maintain superior performance.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.