If you are the proud owner of a 2001 Kia Sephia, you may be wondering how to change spark plugs on a 2001 Kia Sephia. The first two spark plugs are very accessible after removing the engine guard. The remaining ones are a little better protected but still easy to access. The entire process of how to change spark plugs on a 2001 Kia Sephia is fairly simply and will be extra simple if you have changed spark plugs before. With the exception of a spark plug socket, you will not need any special tools or equipment.
- 5/8 spark plug socket
- Socket extender
- Phillips-head screw driver
- Disconnect the battery. Turn off the engine on your 2001 Kia Sephia. Completely disconnect the battery cables in the proper order. Place the battery cables away from the battery terminals to avoid accidental contact while you are working.
- Open the hood and remove the engine guard. Open the hood on your 2001 Kia Sephia. Securely prop the hood open. Remove the plastic engine guard located in the center of the motor or your 2001 Kia Sephia. The engine guard is held in place by six Phillips-head screws.
- Locate the first two spark plugs. Locate the two plastic covers which hold the first two spark plugs. Tug upward gently on the plastic covers until they come loose revealing the spark plugs.
- Replace the first two spark plugs. Remove the first two spark plugs one at a time. Use the 5/8 spark plug socket with the socket extender to remove the spark plugs. Ensure the spark plug socket is secured around the spark plug and carefully remove it. Repeat this process for the second spark plug. Insert the replacement spark plugs after you have removed the old ones on your 2001 Kia Sephia.
- Locate the remaining two spark plugs. The reaming two spark plugs are located in the middle, covered with insulating boxes. Remove these boxes by removing the screws. The white electrical connectors may get in the way, you can unplug these but be sure to properly reconnect them when you are finished.
- Replace the remaining spark plugs. Remove the remaining two spark plugs in your 2001 Kia Sephia. Remove these spark plugs using the 5/8 spark plug socket, you will not need the extender to reach these. Insert the replacement spark plugs when you remove the original spark plugs in your 2001 Key Sephia.
- Reconnect the insulting boxes, white connectors and engine guard. First re-attach the insulting boxes over the middle two spark plugs. Now securely reconnect the white connectors if you disconnected them. Replace the engine guard with all six of the phillips-head screws.
- Reconnect the battery. Reconnect the battery on your 2001 Kia Sephia. Securely connect the battery cables in the proper order. You may now close the hood on your 2001 Kia Sephia. Your finished.
Replacement spark plugs can be purchased at any automotive store. For specific information consult your 2001 Kia Sephia user manual.
Spark plug sockets can be found at major department stores, hardware stores and automotive speciality stores.
Do not leave the spark plug holes open for any period of time, immediately replace the spark plug or cover the hole with a towel or similar object.