How To Change Timex Watch Battery
If you need to learn how to change a Timex watch battery, you've come to the right place. Timex offers a popular, affordable line of wristwatches; but like most watches, the battery is going to need to be replaced from time to time. According to The Timex Group USA inc., it's always a good idea to take your watch to a qualified jeweler or watch repair shop for service. But if you pay attention to detail, you can easily learn how to change Timex watch battery yourself.
Before you get started, check your owner's manual or look at the back plate of the watch to find out what type of battery you need to buy. Nobody likes nasty surprises, so once you have your new battery, read through these instructions so you know what's going to be involved in changing your Timex watch battery.
After you've read the instructions, go ahead and get your supplies together. For this project you will need:
- Your new battery
- A soft cloth (spread this out on your workspace to protect your watch from scratches.)
- A set of jewelers screwdrivers
- A small container to hold any loose screws
How To Change Timex Watch Battery:
- Once you have your cloth spread out, the next order of business is to remove the back plate. Depending on the model of watch, this could be as simple as finding the access point (a small indentation near the edge of the back plate) and using a jeweler's screwdriver to pry the back open; or you may need to remove a few small screws. Remember to keep any loose screws in a container. If you drop them, they're almost impossible to find!
- On some models, Timex uses a second plate, on the inside, to keep the movement and the watch battery in place. Simply remove any screws and add them to your screw container. With the internal plate out of the way, it's just a matter of pulling out the old battery and putting a new one in its place. Make sure your replacement watch battery is in the same orientation as the old one, which will most likely be positive (+) side down.
- Without turning the watch over, lift it straight up and look to make sure it's working properly. If it is, just perform all of the steps in this guide in reverse order to reseal your watch. If the watch is still not working, you may need to perform a reset. This operation varies depending on which model of Timex watch you have. Refer to the owner's manual for complete reset instructions.
- For maximum watch battery life, you should always buy a quality brand. Cheap batteries are fine for items that have easy battery access, but not for wristwatches. The more times you have to open your watch, the more likely it is to be damaged.
- Always keep your owner's manual on hand. If you don't understand the instructions, the manual often has helpful drawings.
- If you have lost or damaged your owner's manual, you can read or download a PDF copy at the official Timex website.