Need to know how to change a Timex watch battery? Changing a Timex watch battery is not hard, but care must be taken when doing so. If you are not careful you can damage the watch mechanisms, the crystal, the gaskets or even the new watch battery you are inserting. If you follow the steps below, you will learn how to change the battery in your Timex watch with ease.
To change a Timex watch battery, you will need:
- A case holder
- A case Knife
- Watchmaker's screw drivers
- A case wrench
- A battery tester
- Fine tweezers
- Plastic tweezers
- Thin cotton gloves
- Soft clean cloths
- A case back wrench
- A case back press
- A polishing cloth
- A small paper cup
- Buy a new watch battery. The Timex watch manual will tell you what battery is used. If you do not have the manual, look on the back of the watch; it may tell you the battery type. If it does not, you will have to wait until you have the watch opened to buy the correct battery.
- Place the watch in the case holder. Secure the Timex watch in the holder with the case back up. If you do not have a case holder, lay watch on a soft padded cloth to prevent damage to the crystal.
- Open the watch. Make sure you use the correct tools to open the back of the watch. Some watches will need the case knife, some screw drivers or the case back wrench. With most Timex watches, the tool needed will be the case knife, but there are exceptions. Be careful when taking the case back off to protect the gasket if the watch has one. If the gasket is damaged it will need to be replaced to retain watch resistance.
- Locate and remove the watch battery. Find the battery in its compartment. Remove the battery using a small screw driver. There are various retention methods used. You may need to use tweezers to pull up the clip, the screw driver to remove screws, or to pop the battery from under a finger clip with the small screw driver. Be careful not to damage the retention device or lose any screws. A small paper cup is a good place to put small screws. Take care to note the placement of the battery as it is important to put the new battery in exactly the same way, meaning the plus or minus pole must be up or down as it was originally.
- Test the battery to ensure it is dead. If not, it may be advisable to take the watch to a jeweler to be inspected. If it is dead, replace the battery. If you could not find the battery size to buy one earlier, now is the time to do so. On the back of the battery will be a series of numbers, use them to buy an equivalent one.
- Clean and inspect the battery box. Use a soft, clean cloth to wipe any dirt from the battery box. If you find corrosion, take it to a jeweler for inspection.
- Replace the battery. Using the plastic tweezers or your fingers, wearing the cotton gloves, replace the battery in the battery box. Finger oils can cause corrosion on the new battery and short it out or lessen its life.
- Replace the retention device if it was removed, or gently bend the spring finger back into place if it was not. Take care not to damage the retention device.
- Replace the case back. The exact method will depend on how you removed it. Take care to ensure the gasket is replaced correctly so it is not damaged.
- Clean and reset the watch. Polish the finger prints and dirt off the watch with the polishing cloth. Reset the watch according to the instructions for the watch. Ensure that the watch is functioning correctly.
You have now replaced the watch battery in your Timex watch. It should now serve you faithfully for another few years. Enjoy, and wear it in good health.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)