How To Change Toyota Tundra 5.7l Oil Filter
Save yourself a little cash by learning how to change a Toyota Tundra 5.7l oil filter. The oil filter on the Toyota Tundra 5.7 is a cartridge type oil filter instead of the regular spin on oil filter. The cartridge type oil filter is housed inside of the oil filter housing. The oil filter on the 5.7 engines can only be removed from the bottom of the engine.
- 1/2 inch drive ratchet
- 1/2 inch drive extension
- 1/2 inch drive socket set
- Drip pan
- 65mm oil filter socket
- New cartridge oil filter
- 1/2 quart of oil
- Park the Toyota Tundra in a safe work area and apply the parking brake.
- Slide under the driver side of the Toyota Tundra and locate the skid plate on the bottom of the engine.
- Remove the bolts that are holding the skid plate to the bottom of the engine with the 1/2 inch drive ratchet, extension and socket.
- Pull the skid plate down and set it to the side.
- Locate the oil filter housing on the driver side of the engine. The oil filter housing has a 65mm screw on cap on the bottom of the housing.
- Position the drip pan under the oil filter housing
- Unscrew the oil filter housing cap with the 1/2 inch drive ratchet, extension and the 65mm oil filter socket
- Lower the oil filter housing cap slowly to the ground. Pull the oil filter cartridge out and put it into the drip pan.
- Slide the new oil filter cartridge into the oil filter housing cap. Then, screw the cap back onto the bottom of the housing.
- Reinstall the skid plate and screw the bolts down tight with the ratchet, extension and socket.
- Open the hood and add 1/2 quart of oil to the engine to make up for the new oil filter. Then, crank the engine and check the oil level.
- Turn the engine off and close the hood.
- You can purchase the 65mm oil filter socket at most all auto parts stores.
- You can also add the 1/2 quart of oil to the oil filter housing when installing the new filter.
Toyota recommends changing the oil and the oil filter on the Toyota Tundra model trucks every 3,000 miles.