How To Change Watch Batteries
Your watch has just died and you want to know how to change watch batteries. Watch batteries can be purchased from any department store and they can be easy to change yourself. Taking a watch to a jeweler to get the battery changed can get very costly. Depending on the brand of the watch in some cases, it can cost just as much as the watch to change the battery. Changing a watch battery only takes a few minutes of your time and is very easy to do.
To change watch batteries you need:
- new watch battery
- lint-free cloth
- tiny flat-head screwdriver
- Turn the watch over on its face. Spread a lint-free cloth out on a flat surface. This will prevent the face of the watch from getting scratched or damaged. Place the watch face down on the cloth.
- Remove the back cover. Locate the small depression on the back cover of the watch. Use a tiny, flat-headed screwdriver to place in that slot. Carefully pry off the back cover of the watch. Be careful not to scratch the back cover with the screwdriver. If the watch has screws that need to be unscrewed to remove the back cover, unscrew the screws.
- Remove the gasket and locate the battery. Take the rubber gasket out from around the edge of the back cover of the watch. The battery is a small round, metal shaped, shiny object. Locate the battery, which is usually held by a clip.
- Remove the battery. If the battery is held underneath a clip, pry the battery out from underneath it by using the screwdriver. Be careful to remember which way the watch battery was placed in the watch.
- Insert the new battery. Place the new watch battery into the same position that the original battery was placed. If there is a battery clip, carefully place the battery underneath the clip.
- Replace the back cover. Place the plastic gasket back over the edge of the back of the watch. Put the back cover on the watch and press down until it snaps back into place. If needed, replace the screws on the back cover. Turn the watch back over on its face and make sure the new watch battery is operating properly.