How To Change A Watch Battery
It's your absolute favorite watch that you wear daily, and you look to check the time only to find out that the battery is dead, and now your wondering how to change a watch battery. You can easily go to a jewelry store to have your watch battery changed, but you don't want to pay to get it done, so you decide you want to give it a try and change it yourself, but you aren't sure exactly how to do it. Well, it is quite simple as long as you get the proper tools.
The things you will need to change a watch battery:
- new watch battery
- lint free cloth
- watch tool
- pocket knife or small flat head screw driver
- Remove the back cover. You want to turn the watch over face down on a lint free cloth to remove the back cover. The type of back cover the watch has will determine how you will remove the battery. Some batteries have a back that just snaps off, or a little slit which need a small flat object such as a pocket knife or a flat head screw driver to pry it off . Other watches may have screws on the back, were you will have to use a tiny watch tool to unscrew the back.
- Locate and remove the battery. Most watches have a little plastic gasket that you will remove first. The battery is usually held in place by a clip or a screw. Once the battery is located you will either remove it with a tiny screw driver if it is screwed in, or remove the battery by prying it out of the clip with a small flat object. Prior to the removal, carefully note which side of the battery is facing the watch and which side is facing outward towards the cover.
- Identify the battery and purchase a replacement battery. Watch batteries are identified generally by a three or four digit number located on the back of the battery. The number of the battery is required to purchase the correct battery. Note that the positive side of the battery is marked with a large plus sign. Bring the old battery to purchase the new one to either a jewelry, electronic, or drug store.
- To install the new battery, you want to first remove the battery from its package and wipe any fingerprints or excess film. Then replace the battery into the watch in the exact same position that the old battery was removed from. Put the battery into the clip, or screw it back into place.
- Replace the gasket and cover. In the grooves provided, replace the plastic gasket securely. Replace the battery cover carefully, usually by snapping it back into place, or screwing it on if necessary.
- Check to see if watch is working. Once you determine your watch is in full operation, you are ready to reset the time, and enjoy full use of your watch once again.