How To Change A Water Pump
If your water pump is going bad on your car, you may need to know how to change a water pump. A water pump works to help the cooling system operate by maintaining the flow of the coolant throughout your vehicle. With a bad water pump your car can leak coolant constantly and also start to overheat. Your car's pump can also make a bad and annoying grinding noise. Being able to change the water pump yourself will save you quite a bit of money. It can take a little time, but you can learn how to change a water pump yourself.
To change a water pump, you will need:
- A wrench set
- A socket set
- A drain pan
- Engine coolant
- A rag
- Disconnect the battery. First make sure that your car is cooled down completely. Locate the battery on your car. Disconnect the negative cable terminal from your battery.
- Drain the coolant. Sit the drain pain underneath your car's engine. Release the cap and allow the fluid from your car's cooling system to drain completely out.
- Remove the drive belt. Locate your alternator's mounting brackets and loosen them. Unfasten the drive belt from the alternator using a socket and lift it up and away from the alternator.
- Remove any components in the way of the water pump. You many need to remove a pulley or fan.
- Remove the water pump. Disconnect any hoses or wires that are connected to the water pump. Loosen any screws or bolts that are attached to the water pump. Carefully lift and remove the water pump from its place in the engine. Clean any dirty area that needs cleaning with a rag.
- Install the new water pump. Gently place the new water pump in the engine in place of the old one. Reconnect any hoses or wires that you detached. Tighten any screws or bolts with a socket or wrench to secure the new water pump in place. Replace any components that you removed. Replace the drive belt.
- Refill the cooling system with engine coolant. Plug the battery's negative terminal back into place to reconnect the battery. Start up your car and make sure that everything is running properly.