The Xbox Live service facilitates online gaming for Xbox 360 games that have multiplayer, and sometimes you need to learn how to change Xbox Live NAT settings in order to successfully use the service. The problem is with your router and the way it handles internet and network traffic to your Xbox 360, as opposed to a problem with the console itself. Sometimes your router has an overactive firewall, or the configuration simply does not work well with your Xbox Live setup. If you open the NAT settings on your router, which involves turning on a setting called DMZ and forwarding a few ports, you'll be able to allow the network traffic to properly flow through the Xbox 360.
To change Xbox Live NAT setting you will need:
- Router IP address
- Xbox 360 IP address
- Username and password for router configuration screen
- Power your Xbox 360 on. Press the middle button on your controller, the Xbox button. Go to the System section on your menu and choose "Network Settings." You'll find your Xbox IP address on this page if you do not have it already. Write it down and turn off your Xbox 360.
- Open a web browser on your computer. Type in the IP address that you use to access the router configuration panel on your computer. This computer needs to be connected to the network in order to access this page.
- Enter the username and password required by your router to enter the configuration settings. Go to the DMZ section and enable it. If prompted, enter the IP address of your Xbox 360.
- Click the section that is labeled "Ports" or "Port Forwarding." You need to enable a number of ports, as they can all send traffic through to the Xbox 360. Set up port forwarding for ports 87 to 89 in the UDP protocol and 3073 to 3075 in UDP and TCP protocols. Enter the Xbox 360 IP address and save all of your changes.
- Restart the router and turn on your Xbox.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
A Noble Experiment… With Bourbon
What happens when jeans are “aged” liked a fine spirit? We’ll soon find out.
Today in Nick Offerman: Love, Work and iPhone Advice
He offered that, plus tales of college sex, on the Tonight Show.
Cooking With Booze: Bourbon Barrel Quad Ice Cream
If you're ever going to make dessert, make it this beer-and-bourbon brilliance.