So you were born with a set of brown eyes, hated them, and now you’re wondering how to change your eye color. And lucky for you, there are both temporary and permanent ways of achieving a new eye tint. Some are fairly affordable as far as eye care goes, and some are…a little less reasonably priced, but in any case, there’s something for everyone and for every taste.
In order to start down the path of changing your eye color, you’ll need the following things:
- The internet. Well, people need this for a lot of other things, but in order to do research or some shopping, you’ll need access to the World Wide Web.
- An optometrist. Some methods of adjusting the color of the eyes must be done professionally or with a prescription. Aside from getting permission from your doctor to receive the desired treatment, he or she can also explain your options to you so you can find the best choice for yourself.
Now that you know what the very basic essentials are, let’s look at the techniques currently available for tweaking those irises:
- Colored contact lenses. One of the most common methods of altering the color of your iris (that’s the colored part of the eye, for the lay people) is using dyed contact lenses. These can be found in natural colors, such as blue and green, or in unnatural colors, like red or yellow. Some vendors of special effects contacts even offer lenses with designs painted on them, or sclera contacts (which cover the entire visible area of the eye) for a more profound and aberrant appearance.
- Cosmetic surgery. Here’s a neat little fact: you can have your eye color surgically adjusted. There is a relatively new item called the NewColorIris available; it’s a tiny implant that is surgically placed in the eye and comes in hazel, blue and green. The advocates of this implant and the subsequent procedure claim it’s actually safer to change your eye color with this cosmetic device than to modify it with contact lenses. This is quite the amusing assertion, considering several people have reported “serious complications” and permanent damage resulting from getting the NewColorIris implant. Verdict? Insert at your own risk.
- Everyday things. Age and exposure to light can change your eye color slightly over time as well, but you really shouldn’t go outside and fry your eyeballs in the sun like eggs to change eye color; doing so could lead to permanent vision loss.
- Tattooing. If you’re not squeamish about needles, why not get an ocular tattoo? Yes, you heard that right…ocular tattoo. You can actually change your eye color by having pigment injected and blended into the irises – or even the scleras, for that matter. Aside from risks and costs associated with such delicate surgery, you’d best hope your surgeon isn’t drunk or an unmedicated epileptic if you want to amend your eye color via injection.
Desiring a new eye color isn’t bad or rare – many people, in fact, may yearn to trade in their pair of copper pennies for a set of polished emeralds. And others may want solid-black vision-obscuring sclera lenses to scare the daylights out of everyone. As mentioned before, your best bet for a new eye color is contact lenses. It’s your vision on the line, and contacts are the only method that fulfills the criteria of both safety and affordability.
These lenses can be prescription or non-prescription and come in as wide a variety of prices as they do tints; colored lenses can be anywhere from $15 to $600 (sclera contacts tend to be the most expensive). Regardless of which method you prefer, be aware that any body-altering procedure or item comes with some risks. It’s up to you to decide whether or not the pros outweigh the cons…not just for changing your eye color, but for any form of body modification.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.