Need to know how to check motherboard? This article will help you do just that. There are a couple of things you will want to do before checking your motherboard. Power off the computer, disconnect the cables from the desktop or laptop and have a screw driver on hand to remove hardware that are in the way of the motherboard.
- RAM Memory Checking the RAM memory is one of the most important things to do to make sure it is running and installed properly. If the RAM chip is even a little out of place, it will cause boot issues and motherboard errors. When you check the motherboard, reseat the RAM chips. Remove them from the RAM slots and replace them back into the slots.
- PCI slots PCI slots are usually white. They contain the sound card, the video card (optional) and sometimes the network card. However, many new motherboards have the ethernet or wireless network card integrated into the motherboard. You will want to make sure the PCI cards are properly seated in the PCI slots of the motherboard. To do this, just press down on the PCI card if you want you could reseat the cards.
- Processor Usually the processor is seated in the processor slot of the motherboard. The processor will either have a fan or heatsink on top or beside it.
- Miscellaneous The other parts of the motherboard are mostly small chips, diodes and other things only an electrical engineer would care about. But it would be helpful to make sure the IDE and/or SATA cables and power cables are plugged in and seated properly in each device.
Tips & Warnings:
- Opening the case and changing the hardware could void the computer's warranty. To ensure your warranty is not voided, you can view your warranty or call customer service.
- While handling the motherboard and its components, you want to make sure you don't directly touch the motherboard's circuits and chips since this could get static electricity discharge, which will lead to chip malfunction. A tip to get around this issue is using an antistatic wrist strap. This will allow you to ground yourself to the computer and its components to prevent static discharge to the motherboard and its components.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.
21 Hairstyles Women Love
Female experts reveal the ’dos that drive them wild.