Need to know how to check for a pulse in the groin? Checking the pulse in the groin means finding the femoral artery. The femoral artery is a larger artery with a stronger flow even than the ulnar artery in the wrist and the brachial artery in the armpit. Knife fighters know that a cut to the femoral artery in the groin will bleed a victim out in under a minute. This means there is a strong pulse in the groin. To check a pulse in the groin using the femoral artery, do the following:
- Lie flat. If you're checking someone else's pulse, have the subject lie flat.
- Place your hand on the inner thigh, one half a hand's breadth from the naughty bits. The middle joint of your fingers should rest about where the inner seam of a pair of jeans would be.
- Keep your thumb clear. The pulse of the thumb is easy to feel, and can give you a false positive reading where you think you're feeling the subject's pulse but are actually feeling your own.
- Press into the flesh of the groin with your fingertips. You may have to press pretty deeply, especially if the subject is overweight. The femoral artery runs against the femur, so it's buried under all the muscle and fat of the upper thigh.
- Move your fingertips upward along the circumference of the thigh until you feel the pulse. If your fingertips reach the top of the thigh, you've missed it. Return to the inseam and try again.
- Keeping your thumb clear, feel and count the pulse. Do this just as you would in the wrist or neck.
Checking for a pulse in the groin does mean touching the subject in a rather personal area. When practicing, make sure your partner is comfortable. In actual first aid, the subject shouldn't mind.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.