Do you want to know how to check the status of a tax return? The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has made it easy to check the status of a return with their online "Where's My Refund" tool. Follow these steps to check the status of your tax return.
- Visit the IRS website and click on "Check on Your Refund" in the "Online Services" menu in the bottom left corner of the screen. This link will direct you to the "Where's My Refund?" online tool.
- Click on the "Where's My Refund" link in the middle of the page. You will be prompted to enter your Social Security number or your IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification number, your filing status and the amount of your refund as shown on your tax return.
- Click "Submit" to get the status of your tax return. If you filed your tax return online, you should be able to get the status of your return within 72 hours after the IRS has acknowledged receipt of the return. If you sent your return by mail, you will be able to check the status within three to four weeks.
- Your refund information will be available using this tool until mid-December if you filed your return before July 1, or until you file another return if you filed after July 1. You cannot check the status of business tax returns, amended tax returns or tax returns from a previous year.
- Beware of scams involving your tax refund. Be aware that the IRS will not contact you via email. If you get a link in your email claiming that you can check your return, do not click the link, and report this information to the IRS.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.