How To Check The Status Of Your Tax Return
If you have filed your taxes and are entitled to a return, the only thing you want to know is how much will it be ,when you will receive it and how to check the status of your tax return. When you know you're getting money you begin to make all kinds of plans on how to spend it. Knowing how to check the status of your tax return becomes more important because you will be able to know if the return was accepted and establish a time frame for when you should receive it.
To check the status of your tax return, you will need
- The social security number for all filers
- The filing status listed on your tax return
- The amount of the refund you are expecting to receive( must be in whole dollar amounts)
- Step One: You can check the status of your tax return in two ways: on-line or via telephone. You will need to decide if you're going to use the online system or the telephone system to check on your tax return. If you're using the online system you will need to go to governments site. If you are more comfortable using a telephone you can simply call the IRS' toll-free phone line.
- Step Two: Enter your social security number, filing status and amount of the expected return when prompted. You will be prompted to enter in your information in this exact order. Once your information is entered the system will check the status of your tax return and give you all the information requested.
Warning: It is illegal to check the status of a return without the permission of the filer. If you are found in violation you can be fined or prosecuted. If no information is available, do not worry. It simply means the system hasn't been updated. The IRS updates refund information once a week. If you have questions or concerns you can always talk to a live representative between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m Monday through Friday.