How To Choose A Boxing Mitt
Learning how to select the right boxing mitt is dependent upon style and design. Boxing mitts are great tools for training a boxer or MMA fighter. Boxing mitts are used to refine the boxers strike. Boxing mitts can also be used as tools to work conditioning and arm fatigue. Utilizing the proper style for your outcome is important. Boxing mitts come in traditional (or conventional), MMA, curve and flat styles and are geared towards certain events. For this article, we will concentrate on the tradition (or conventional) boxing mitt as it can be used effectively for most styles. We will walk you through the process of picking the right traditional boxing mitt and for what purposes.
- Understanding the boxer’s style for which you are using the boxing mitt for is helpful. Power punchers require a wider faced mitt. Boxers who rely upon multiple shots or are in for the long haul should concentrate on smaller boxing mitts. You can also employ curved boxing mitts to concentrate on uppercuts.
- The traditional boxing mitt offers a taste of all three. The traditional mitt is a little larger and provides target points. Many are also slightly curved to provide uppercut support. Choosing the traditional boxing mitt opens the door to a wider school of boxing.
- There are other things to consider as well. Boxing mitts are held in the trainer’s hand. As the name ‘mitt’ implies, the trainer’s hand fits inside. Some are fitted like gloves; others are fully inserted much like an actual mitt.
- This is a style and comfort choice for the trainer. The fully inserted hand however gives more advantage and feel for the boxer’s precision and power. As you progress as a trainer, working with boxing mitts that are geared towards certain aspects of the game will be required.
- Try on many sizes and varieties of traditional boxing mitts until you find one that is comfortable. Your mobility and ease of movement of the boxing mitt is important. As is your ability to absorb the punch but still feel the impact and location.