Why choose great hiking boots? Because serious hikers traverse harsh terrain and need good foot support and traction. Good hiking boots will allow you to trek safely and focus on enjoying nature. When you choose hiking boots, you must think of several factors that will determine the success of your selection. Always remember that hiking boots connect your feet to the ground. Good boot traction can make the difference between successfully climbing a cliff or falling down one. Let's look at what makes a great boot and see how to best choose the hiking boot that's works best for you.
- Select summer or winter boot. When will you hike most? Summer boots require good ventilation. Winter boots require good insulation. If you hike year round, select a compromise boot that will offer some level of heat retention with proper ventilation. Be realistic and look at the specifications to see which operating temperature is most suited for any given choice.
- Select trekking region. Where will you hike? When choosing hiking boots you must consider the terrain on which you'll hike. Is it rocky? Is it full of desert sand? Will you need to traverse ice? Does it entail hiking in a rain forest? Each region offers different type of land and obstacles. Your hiking boot must offer good traction to assure you won't slip, fall and injure yourself while in the wilderness.
- Select good ankle support. Your ankle is vulnerable to twisting and breaking. When you choose a hiking boot, you must select a boot that protects your ankle. A boot that snugly grips your ankle and avoid lateral movement is good. Be sure to test the boot in the store. Simulate a twist to the ankle and see of the boot protects you. Remember that a broken ankle in the wilderness can lead to death. Choose well.
- Select boot height. Taller boots offer more support and protection. When you choose a hiking boot, start with testing a 6" boot and see if an 8" boot works better. You want a boot that will grip you foot well and offer good support while maintaining comfort.
- Select a comfortable boot. Get the most comfortable hiking boot you can afford. Avoid focusing on looks or celebrity sponsorship. Good looks won't help your sour feet after a long hike. A hiking boot with proper internal support and buffering soles will make your hike more enjoyable than an uncomfortable boot that looks great. Let you feet rather than your eyes select your hiking boot.
- Select orthopedic boot. Hiking puts stress on your feet, knees and back. When you choose a hiking boot, be sure to get an orthopedic boot that will protect your body and act as a shock absorbers. Orthopedic shoes work well on all terrain and they make any hike easier on your feet.
- Buy quality. Don't be cheap. Get the best boot you can afford. When you choose a cheap hiking boot, you often get what you pay for and you'll often get less. Good hiking boots feel better and last longer. Choose hiking boots that will serve you well for many hiking seasons.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.