How To Choose A Kayaking Helmet
Many new kayakers want to know how to choose a kayaking helmet because it is an essential part to the safety of the sport. There are a few factors to consider when buying a new helmet, and if you ignore these, you could possibly purchase an uncomfortable helmet or worse, an unsafe one.
What you will need
- An experience kayaker who can give you’re their known tips
- A dependable store who will assist you
- The first thing you need to do is establish your budget. This will help you to know which area of the store you should be shopping in. You don’t want to be shopping in the three hundred dollar helmet section when your budget is only sixty dollars, because you will be inevitably disappointed with your price range.
- Now that you have established your budget, travel to your store. Make sure to go to a sporting goods store that has good help and a wide selection, you don’t want to end up having to pick from two different helmets!
- Next, go to your helmet size area of the store. It shouldn’t be to different from your hat size, but if your hat size is too big or small for you in helmet, go up or down accordingly.
- Now decide what kind of helmet you will need. Most are grouped into either soft, medium, or hard padding or helmet. The harder the helmet the safer, but also less comfortable. You can decide which helmet you’ll need by figuring out where you’ll be kayaking the most. If you are going to be in calm soft waters, then you would go with a soft helmet and so on.
- Next you will want to check the lining. If it is a rubber it is of better quality than say soft foam that will not provide any protection.
- The last thing you want to check on a helmet is the flexibility and strength of the outside shell. If it is easily bendable then it will not provide enough if any protection if there would be an accident.