How To Choose A Retirement Community Home For Your Parents
If you have an aging parent, you really need to know how to choose a retirement home for your them. When choosing a retirement home, there are so many different things that need to be considered. Though the process of finding the right home may be difficult, there are some considerations to ensure you choose the right one for your parents.
- Talk to your parents. If your parents are still in good health, sit down and talk to them and ask what their preferences are. Ask if they have a preference as far as location, type of residence and how much freedom they actually need.
- Decide the type of retirement home that your parents need. There are basically two types of retirement homes. An independent living home is best suited for those who can take care of themselves. Assisted living retirement community assists those who need help with meals, bathing, dressing and medications. Most of the time these are apartment complexes.
- Select a retirement home that is close to your home. This is a great option for two reasons. One is that you will be closer to your parents when it comes to visiting. Plus if there is an emergency, you can get to them quickly.
- Call the retirement home for a tour. It is best to call about five different homes and make arrangements for a tour. Make a note of the person that answers the phone and their demeanor.
- Make a list of questions for the facility. Surely there are a million questions you must have for the facility. Some of the questions that are important are the monthly fees, services available, transportation, rules for pets and visitors, security and medical and nursing staff.
- Take a tour. When you visit the facility, make a note of your first impression. What did you think when you walked through the door? Is the place clean and bright? How are you received by the staff? As you are taking the tour, ask the questions you have prepared. Take a look at the surroundings. How do the residents appear? Are they happy? Are they clean and neat?
- Ask for an information package. The tour guide should offer you an information package but if they don’t, ask for one.
- Make a choice of the best retirement home for your parents based on all the information you have.
Tips: Take notes on everything. What you like and what you dislike. If you have any questions while visiting a retirement home, ask someone. Do not rush the process.