How To Choose Skateboard Size
One major part of being a skateboarder is knowing how to choose a skateboard size. Many people may not think that this is important, but indeed it is. The size of the skateboard may help you perform more tricks as well as gain more control. If you are unsure about what size you need, here's how to choose your skateboard size.
In order to choose your skateboard size, you'll need:
- Tape measure
- Determine what type of riding you plan to do. This will help determine the deck size. The deck is simply the flat part of the skateboard that you stand on.
- Measure your height in inches. This will also help you determine the board size.
- Measure the width of the deck. Remember, most skateboard measurements are in inches. The most common sized skateboard deck is one whose width measures around 7.75 inches. This deck size may be optimal if you are between 5.5 and 6 feet. If you are shorter than this, choose a board that is around 7.3 inches.
- Stand on the deck to get a feel for it, if possible. This will also help you decide if the board is wide and long enough.
- Choose the truck size. The trucks of the skateboard are the metal parts tha are mounted on the bottom. The are the locations of the wheels. It is best to get a truck size that is close to the width of the deck. If they are too large, your deck will be too stiff. If they are too slim, your deck may wobble too much. Most of the time, you can choose between low decks, mid decks, and high decks.
- Choose wheels and bearings, now that you have chosen your skateboard size. Wheels are measured in millimeters and nearings are measured by grades A,B,C,and E.