The surf is up and you're hitting the beach-but do you know how to choose a surfboard size that's right for you? Doing so means the difference between catching a wave and crashing on the rocks. Surfboards come in a variety of sizes, thicknesses and even have different shapes. Find the one that's right for you and impress the girls!
- Look at the length. When choosing a surfboard size, look at the length first. The board should stand a minimum of twelve inches above your height, preferably sixteen to twenty inches.
- Measure the width. A wide board is ideal when choosing the right surfboard size. Go for a board that is at least nineteen inches across as this makes the it easier to stand on and improves your balance.
- Determine the thickness. Choose a surfboard that has a minimum thickness of two inches. Surfboards contain foam which acts as a flotation device. Thickness is crucial if you are learning to maneuver. You want to easily float while paddling, sitting and riding the waves.
- Choose the outline. Beginners should choose a surfboard size that includes a round nose measuring about twelve inches wide. Same goes for the tail-split tails are for the guys who've been surfing awhile. Rounded noses and tails make for easy paddling and navigation.
- Purchase a Velcro legrope with a swivel. The swivel will work with you as you learn, and the overall goal of the legrope is to keep your surfboard close when you come off. The Velcro allows for easy detachment if you need to remove the legrope.
- Work with an instructor. Surfing is a dangerous activity and not for the faint of heart. Make sure you can swim well and find a reputable instructor to learn from.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.