How To Clean 18k Gold-Plated Jewelry
Need to know how to clean 18k gold-plated jewelry? Learning how to clean 18k gold-plated jewelry is important, otherwise you may end up destroying your gold-plated items. Like many other types of jewelry, gold-plated jewelry has its own unique care requirements. Knowing the proper care you should use to clean 18k gold-plated jewelry will prevent you from scratching or discoloring your items with traditional jewelry-cleaning techniques.
To clean 18k gold-plated jewelry, you will need:
- Mild dish soap
- Microfiber or soft cloths
- A cereal bowl
- Wipe down your 18k gold-plated jewelry with a clean, dry microfiber cloth. This will help remove oils that may have transferred from your fingers.
- Fill a cereal bowl about halfway full with hot water. Add a few drops of mild dish soap to the water. Swish the soap around in the cereal bowl so that it is well-blended with the water.
- Submerge your jewelry in the cereal bowl of hot soapy water. Use your fingers or a soft sponge to gently scrub clean your 18k gold-plated jewelry.
- Lay a clean, dry microfiber cloth out on a flat surface. Place the gold-plated jewelry on the microfiber cloth and allow it to air dry.
- Polish your 18k gold-plated jewelry with another clean, dry microfiber cloth. Then, when you are not wearing it, wrap the jewelry in a soft, clean cloth.
- Polish your gold-plated jewelry after each use with a clean microfiber cloth. This will help to remove sweat, oils and other environmental substances that can tarnish your jewelry.
Avoid using abrasive cleaning tools when you clean 18k gold-plated jewelry. This type of jewelry can easily become scratched and permanently damaged.