Area rugs can add style and color to a lifeless, dull room; however, you may wonder just how to clean area rugs properly. Many people often use these rugs to cover up unsightly spots or wear and tear on carpet, but then become baffled when area rugs transform into dirty rugs. While having an area rug in the living room, family room or a bedroom can have its advantages, they can be costly to clean, as most of these rugs are marked dry clean only. Area rugs, especially large ones placed in the middle of the room, may receive a large amount of traffic, causing them to become dingy and dirty very quickly. Dry cleaning is the best option; however, there are alternatives to cleaning your rug, including using dry powder cleaners.
To clean an area rug you will need:
- Dry powder cleaning solution
- Soft bristled brush
- Purchase one of the popular dry powder cleaning solutions on the market. You will find that there are many options available when searching out how to clean area rugs; however, dry cleaning solutions offer less mess, as these products allow you to clean carpets and rugs without having to wet the area being cleaned. Not wetting the rug also removes the possibility of any mold or mildew setting up underneath the rug.
- Sprinkle the recommended amount of dry powder cleaner over the entire area rug. While you will want to cover the rug completely, you need to pay special attention to badly stained areas. Each dry product on the market, made to clean area rugs, may have different instructions on how to clean area rugs and carpets, many pertaining to taking care of difficult stains. Scrub the rug with a soft bristled brush, allowing the cleaner to penetrate deep into the fibers. This will allow the cleaner to lift the dirt from each stand of fiber, cleaning the entire carpet and not only lifting the soil on top of the rug.
- Leave the cleaner on the rug for the recommended amount of time, which is normally between 30 minutes and one hour. Areas that are heavily stained may need a longer application. If you are unsure about a stain, test an area by sweeping it with a vacuum. If the area is still heavily stained after the cleaner has been removed, apply more powdered cleaner to the area.
- Sweep the entire area rug with the vacuum cleaner. Place the vacuum on the lowest setting possible to remove all of the powder from the rug. After all of the cleaner has been swept up, you may use your rug as usual, including allowing small children or animals to sit and/or play on the rug. You will now have clean area rugs that you can once again enjoy. Dry carpet cleaners allow dirt to be easily removed from area rugs without the hassle and cost of dry cleaning and with much less fuss than using a commercial carpet cleaner. While other methods exist, this one definitely takes the hassle out of deciding how to clean area rugs.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …