Knowing how to clean beer taps regularly can maintain the taste of the beer and your health. Dirty beer taps harbor bacteria and yeast which cause a beer drinker to become ill and the beer to taste "skunked." Dirty beer taps form small crystals which restrict the free flow of the beer and cause the beer to become overly foamy. Fortunately cleaning beer taps is an easy maintenance task.
Things you'll need:
- Hand-pumped cleaning bottles
- Chemical cleaner
- Use a hand-pumped cleaning bottle which is usually included in beer cleaning kits. Hand-pumped cleaning bottles can also be purchased separately at stores that sell beer making kits and beer taps or online.
- Fill the bottle with warm water and a chemical cleaner made especially for beer taps. Follow package directions for the amount of cleaner.
- Place the line and beer tap into the bottle and pump the cleaner through the beer tap. Continue pumping the cleaner through the line and beer tap until the cleaning bottle is empty.
- Take apart all removable pieces of the beer tap and line including the keg coupler, line and faucet. Place these items in a large bowl or pot with warm water and the cleaning agent.
- Allow the beer tap parts to soak for ten to fifteen minutes. While soaking thoroughly, rinse the hand-pumped bottle to remove all chemical cleaner residue.
- Remove the parts of the beer tap from the bowl and rinse thoroughly with plain warm water. Rinse for at least two to three minutes under running water.
- Fill the hand-pumped cleaning bottle with plain warm water and reconnect the beer tap to the cleaning bottle.
- Pump plain, clean water through the beer tap. Continue to run plain water through the tap until all of the cleaning chemical is washed away.
Cleaning a beer tap after each use is an important step whenever using a keg. The beer tap cleaning process only takes fifteen to twenty minutes and should never be ignored. Drink responsibly and safely.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Shoes Tell Her About You
How footwear can kick-start your dating game—or kick dirt on your grave.