How To Clean Brick
Learn how to clean brick using these simple steps. This common building material is used to make fireplaces, walls and floors. Whether interior or exterior, brick can be cleaned and maintained to enhance the appearance of your home. This method works well for light to moderate dirt levels.
To clean brick, you'll need:
- Dish soap
- At least one cup of coarse salt or table salt
- Vacuum (optional)
- Broom (optional)
- Coarse bristle brush
- Bowl or container
- Mix salt and dish soap in a container or bowl. How much you use depends on how large a surface you will be cleaning. The salt acts as an abrasive to help scrub away dirt and debris.
- Dust or sweep the surface of the brick. Use a clean, dry cloth, vacuum or broom to remove loose dust and dirt. This helps prepare the brick for deeper cleaning.
- Apply the soapy mixture to the brick. Use a brush to scrub the mixture into the brick. Make sure you get into all nooks and crannies, removing any loose dirt along the way. Allow the soap to rest for a few minutes to penetrate the brick.
- Rinse the brick with clean water. Use a bucket of water and a clean cloth to wipe away the soap residue. Keep rinsing the cloth in the bucket as you go. Soak up any excess water and allow the brick to air dry.
- Keep bricks free of dust and dirt by vacuuming, sweeping or dusting regularly. This cuts down on the time it takes to do a deep cleaning.