Learn how to clean canvas sneakers. The material stains and gets dirty easily, so frequent but gentle cleaning is a must if you want to keep your sneakers looking new.
To clean canvas sneakers, you'll need:
- Mild dish detergent or soap
- Soft cloth
- Baking soda (for tough stains)
- Bleach (optional)
- Laundry detergent (optional)
- Tap the shoes against the inside of a trash can to remove caked-on dirt. This helps prepare the sneakers for cleaning. Adding water to dried dirt will only create mud and can make your shoes dirtier.
- Dampen a cloth with warm water and add a few drops of soap. Lightly scrub over the shoe's entire surface, wiping the soles, rubber or plastic, and the canvas.
- Remove tough stains with a paste of baking soda and water. Allow the mixture to sit on the canvas shoes for ten minutes, then use a clean, damp cloth to wipe away residue. Allow the shoes to air dry. Never put them into a dryer, especially on high heat. It can ruin the shoes and melt the glue that holds them together.
- To clean the laces, remove them and wash in the washing machine. If you don't want to wash them in a machine, soak them in a sink full of water with a little bleach and laundry detergent. Only use bleach on white laces. Rinse them well and air dry.
If your canvas sneakers lose shape after a cleaning, stuff them with paper towels. Don't use newspapers if your shoes are white because the ink can run and stain the sneakers.