How To Clean Carpet Stains
There are many times when food or other items fall on the carpet and you will need to know how to clean carpet stains. Stains should be attended to as soon as you see them. By avoiding stains you will only make them more difficult to remove.
Here are some supplies that you might need to clean carpet stains:
- mild dish washing liquid
- white towels
- white vinegar
- Identify the carpet stain if possible. If it is a liquid spill, blot the liquid spill with a clean white cotton towel. Colored towels can leave their color behind on the carpet. Remember to blot, Don't rub, you don't want to rub the liquid further into the carpet.
- Mix a few drops of the mild dish washing liquid into some water. Use about a quarter teaspoon per quart of water. Apply this solution to the stain, being careful not to saturate the carpet. Blot the stain with the cloth and be careful not to rub. Also make sure to squeeze all the excess water out of the towel.
- Rinse with clean water. You don't want to leave any of the soap residue behind, so make sure to rinse. You might want to try these steps a few times before trying other remedies.
- Use a few drops of white vinegar in your solution for removing pet stains. The vinegar will not help clean the carpet stain, but it will help remove the odor. Use the same steps as before, but only with vinegar added to your solution.
- Use a commercial spot remover if the stain will not come out. Use this as a last resort they often take off the protective coating of the carpet and break down the dyes. Sometimes it is best to call a professional carpet cleaner to clean carpet stains that resist these treatments.