Knowing how to clean crystal will add brilliance to your table setting. Cleaning crystal is not a daunting task. Keep in mind that your silverware, plates, and serving dishes can be sparkling clean, but clean crystal is what will catch a guest's eye.
To assist in in cleaning your crystal, you will need the following:
- A sink well of warm water
- A stiff brush such as an old toothbrush
- A dish rag or sponge
- A sink well of hot rinse water
- A drying rack or dry dish towel
- Paper towels
- Rubbing alcohol
- Teakettle or sink of hot water
The Process of Cleaning Crystal.
- Fill a sink to your normal dish washing level with warm water.
- Add at least a cup of vinegar. Ammonia or other household cleaning products will work, but vinegar is a green product that will not effect your lungs or eyes when you clean crystal.
- Let a few pieces of crystal soak in the vinegar and warm water for a few minutes before starting to clean your crystal. Don't let the water cool too much.
- To thoroughly clean crystal, scrub the crystal with an old toothbrush or similar instrument.
- Wash the crystal thoroughly with a rag or sponge.
- Rinse the crystal in hot water.
- Place the clean crystal in a dish drying rack or on a dry dish cloth to dry.
To remove candle wax or other messes from crystal.
- Candle wax, lipstick, or similar products can be removed from crystal by first putting the crystal in a sink well of hot water or by pouring hot water over the affected area. Make sure that the crystal is gradually acclimated to the water temperature so that it does not crack while you are cleaning your crystal.
- Even the hot water from the tap can be sufficient to remove wax or lipstick from crystal. Clean crystal should be free of residue.
- After the wax is removed, you can now wash the crystal in warm water and vinegar and rinse it in hot water before letting the crystal dry.
- If you find a residue of wax or other such substance still clinging to the crystal, a vigorous swabbing of the crystal with a paper towel or rag dipped in rubbing alcohol will dissolve the remaining residue. Clean crystal should sparkle and feel dry to the touch.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.