Wondering how to clean dark blue jeans without losing color? It is no secret that dark blue or black jeans are popular on the fashion scene—but, tough to maintain in the laundry room. Keeping those dark jeans from fading or losing color is a difficult job, but it’s not impossible if you follow a few simple steps.
Items Needed to Wash Dark Blue Jeans
- Dark colored jeans
- Washing machine
- Cold Water
- Mild Laundry Detergent or Detergent Designed for Dark Colors
- 1 c. White Vinegar
- Clothes Line or Pant Hangers for Drying
Steps to Prevent Fading in Dark Blue Jeans
- Make sure that the jeans really must be washed. It sounds a little nasty, but, the best way to avoid fading your black or dark blue jeans is to avoid washing them as often as possible. There is really no need to wash them after every wear unless they are very dirty or stinky.
- Turn the dark blue jeans inside out. Washing them inside out helps reduce wear on the jean surface, reducing some of the color fade and bleeding from laundering.
- Wash the dark jeans with like colors. If you wash dark clothing with other dark clothing, any dye bleeding will be absorbed into similar fabrics. It may be minimal, but take advantage of a new garment that is likely to fade by washing it with some dark jeans that could use a little color boost.
- Launder the jeans in the washing machine. Using a delicate or gentle cycle with cold water, a mild laundry detergent, or one formulated for dark clothing, and a cup of white vinegar instead of fabric softener, launder the jeans as usual—taking care not to overload the washing machine. Why add vinegar? It helps stabilize the fabric dyes, aids in rinsing–and softens without harsh chemical additives.
- Hang or line dry the jeans. Drying jeans only increases the wear and tear on the fade-ready fabric. Opting to line dry them or hang them to dry from pant hangers limits the exposure to the excess heat and friction tumbling.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Beer Brain: Sam Adams’ Kosmic Mother Funk
This private-reserve beer drinks like a fine port or brandy.
10 Social-Media Problems Ello Solves
From privacy to nudity—why the Anti-Facebook's time has come.