How To Clean A Fiberglass Boat
If you own one, you need to learn how to clean a fiberglass boat. The most important aspect of cleaning your fiberglass boat is to make sure you clean it often enough. It is also important to note that you should always clean your fiberglass boat from top to bottom, so that you do not re-soil the parts you have already cleaned. Although fiberglass boats can be tough to clean, you should always use gentle cleaning products on it that will not damage the finish. You can effectively clean your fiberglass boat by following these steps.
Things you will need to clean a fiberglass boat include:
- Large bucket
- Clean water
- Nylon scrub brush
- Rubber gloves
- Degreasing agent
- Household all purpose cleaner
- Boat wax
- Fill up your bucket with hot water and mix in 1/4 cup of general household all purpose cleaner. Dip your nylon scrub brush into the cleaner and scrub away dirt and grime from your boat. You might need to go over the same spots a few to clean a fiberglass boat because of stubborn grease and debris.
- Use a degreasing agent to clean a fiberglass boat, especially when it has resistant dirt on it such as bird droppings. The degreasing agent should seep in to the soiled spots for a minute or two before you begin scrubbing it with your nylon brush and cleaner.
- Sand away stains with sandpaper. When you start to clean a fiberglass boat, you might discover that some areas are resistant to your cleaning methods. If this is the case, you may need to sand the spots away. A 600-grit paper works best, but make sure you are not too aggressive in your sanding endeavors or you might scratch the surface of your fiberglass boat.
- Rinse your boat with a lot of clean water. When you clean a fiberglass boat you need to completely rinse all traces of cleaner off because if you do not, the finish may appear dull. If you have access to a garden hose, use it to rinse your boat, however, clean water from your bucket will suffice.
- Wax your boat. After you have gone through the steps to clean a fiberglass boat, make sure to apply a coat of wax on it. This will ensure that the next time you clean your fiberglass boat, the process will be easier, as dirt and grime will glide off easier.