How To Clean Leather Hunting Boots
Do you want to know how to clean leather hunting boots? That depends upon what kind of leather and how or if it is treated. Different leathers will need to be cleaned different, we will discuss several types of leather and treatments. The different types of leathers are full grained leather hunting boots and Nubuck or split grain hunting boots. The two are treated very differently. The two types of treatments are oil based and silicone based. You do not clean or treat silicone and oil in the same manner. For our purposes, we will split the article into the two different categories full and split grained leathers.
Items needed to clean different leather hunting boots:
- Mild soap
- Nylon bristle brush
- Soft cloths
- Leather treatment
- Silicone leather treatment
The procedure to clean full grained leather hunting boots:
- Brush heavy dirt off with nylon brush. Use warm clear water and the nylon bristle brush to gently wash the dirt from the boot.
- Wash leather with mild soap and water. Use a soft cloth and mild soap and water to wash the boot.
- Let the boots dry in room temperature. Never put boots near a heat source as it can dry out and crack the leather. Let them dry naturally at room temperature.
- Treat leather is desired. If you wish to apply a leather waterproof or treatment now is the time to do so, after the leather is dry.
The procedure to clean Nubuck and split grain leather boots or silicon treated leather boots will go something like this:
- Brush dirt off with nylon bristle brush. With this type of leather or treatment you do not use water, you simply brush the boot to remove excess dirt.
- Treat with silicone water repellant. Treat the boot with a quality silicone based leather treatment.
That is how you treat your leather hunting boots. With proper care, a good leather hunting boot is a joy to use and will last a very long time.