How To Clean Mini Metal Blinds Without Taking Them Down
Figuring out how to cleaning metal mini blinds without taking them down is a common household cleaning task year around. Mini blinds are dust magnets and must be kept clean to keep your home healthy and looking its best. Many metal mini blinds are difficult to remove from wall anchors—and some are nearly impossible. How can you keep your metal mini blinds clean without taking them down?
- Warm Soapy Water/Warm Rinse Water
- Soft cloths or cleaning mitts
- Prepare the area for cleaning. Protect the floor under the window which you will be cleaning. The disadvantage to cleaning mini blinds while hanging is that the cleaning liquid is likely to drip or run. You will need to place towels on the floor or the window sills—and have a towel ready to catch any heavy drips or spills.
- Open and vacuum the metal mini blinds. Be sure that the blind is dropped to cover the window. Open the blind so that the metal strips have openings between each one. Using a hand held vacuum or upright vacuum attachment, vacuum the mini blinds to remove any thick dust or cobwebs.
- Clean each metal strip of the mini blind. Soak either soft cloths or cleaning mitts in the warm soapy water, wringing out excess water. Gently wipe each metal blind strip with the cleaning cloth. This will be time consuming. You’ll want to clean the top and bottom of each metal strip by gripping between your thumb and index finger then wiping with enough force to remove dust and buildup. Take care that you do not bend the thin metal strips as you clean.
- Rinse away the soapy residue. Once you have washed the mini blinds, it’s time to rinse them. Replace your soapy wash water with clean water for rinsing. Using fresh cloths or thoroughly rinsed ones, wipe down each strip in the same manner used for cleaning.
- Dry the blinds. Wipe the blinds dry with clean dry cloths to prevent spotting. If you prefer to let the blinds self dry, be sure to leave towels in place to protect the surrounding area until the blinds are dried.
- Develop a mini blind maintenance routine. Vacuum the blinds between cleanings to minimize the work of your next mini blind cleaning adventure. If the blind is soiled during a spill—wipe it immediately to prevent it from drying and requiring extra work in the future.