If you need to know to clean a really dirty sweatshirt, read on for tips and tricks to wash even the dirtiest items. There are several types of stains, and each require a different approach. It takes little time and effort to wash a dirty sweatshirt, so gather the supplies and get washing.
- Laundry detergent (if necessary, one of the following stain removal items)
- Hydrogen Peroxide – For protein or enzymatic stains, such as blood, milk, eggs, or sweat. Wash in cold water only.
- Household bleach – For any stains on white clothing
- Pretreatment spray – For plant based or grease and food stains
- White vinegar – For mineral stains like rust, do not use bleach on these stains
- Isopropyl alcohol – For ink stains
- Stain removal spray – All-purpose
- Cotton balls or swabs – Used to apply pre-treatment
- Determine which type of stains you are dealing with. If the sweatshirt isn't necessarily stained and just dirty, skip the pre-treating step and wash the garment with laundry detergent.
- Use the cotton balls or swabs to apply the treatment that works best for the type of stain. Don't wash the sweatshirt immediately, allow it to sit for a few minutes until the removal method starts working. You can also rub the remover in to loosen the soil or stain.
- Wash the sweatshirt in the hottest water possible for the fabric type. Check the tag if you aren't sure. If you are removing enzymatic stains, wash the garment in cold water. This prevents it from setting in to the fabric. Add your detergent and bleach, if necessary.
- Hang the item to dry, or dry it on low heat. Minimal heat prevents stains from setting in, especially from perspiration and blood. The lower heat also extends the life of the fabric.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.