If you need to know to clean a really dirty sweatshirt, read on for tips and tricks to wash even the dirtiest items. There are several types of stains, and each require a different approach. It takes little time and effort to wash a dirty sweatshirt, so gather the supplies and get washing.
- Laundry detergent (if necessary, one of the following stain removal items)
- Hydrogen Peroxide – For protein or enzymatic stains, such as blood, milk, eggs, or sweat. Wash in cold water only.
- Household bleach – For any stains on white clothing
- Pretreatment spray – For plant based or grease and food stains
- White vinegar – For mineral stains like rust, do not use bleach on these stains
- Isopropyl alcohol – For ink stains
- Stain removal spray – All-purpose
- Cotton balls or swabs – Used to apply pre-treatment
- Determine which type of stains you are dealing with. If the sweatshirt isn't necessarily stained and just dirty, skip the pre-treating step and wash the garment with laundry detergent.
- Use the cotton balls or swabs to apply the treatment that works best for the type of stain. Don't wash the sweatshirt immediately, allow it to sit for a few minutes until the removal method starts working. You can also rub the remover in to loosen the soil or stain.
- Wash the sweatshirt in the hottest water possible for the fabric type. Check the tag if you aren't sure. If you are removing enzymatic stains, wash the garment in cold water. This prevents it from setting in to the fabric. Add your detergent and bleach, if necessary.
- Hang the item to dry, or dry it on low heat. Minimal heat prevents stains from setting in, especially from perspiration and blood. The lower heat also extends the life of the fabric.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.