How To Clean A Red Leather Jacket
Cleaning a red leather jacket is possible, but it needs to be done very carefully. Red is not a natural color for leather. Therefore, dye has been added to the leather and you don't want it to fade out.
Things you will need to clean a red leather jacket:
- Leather cleaning kit
- Some clean white rags
- Leather conditioner
- Before you do anything yourself, consult a professional. A professional cleaner is the safest way to have your red leather jacket cleaned. This is what they do for a living. They specialize in difficult fabrics to clean, especially leather. It will cost a little bit, but it may be worth it to you.
- Buy a leather cleaning kit. For a very small price you can purchase a leather cleaning kit. Most stores that carry leather jackets will have the kit. It will not cost much at all. Read and follow all the directions carefully.
- You can clean your red leather jacket yourself. Grab a few clean white rags and get ready to clean your leather. Rags that have color already in the fabric risk transferring that color to your leather. This will result in discoloring or fading out the red in you leather jacket. Make sure the rags are white.
- Hang your jacket in an open doorway. You will be cleaning the jacket one section at a time. An open doorway will give you plenty of room to move around the garment. You don't want the jacket to be touching anything else.
- Take three of the rags at once. Wet one of the rags in clean cold water. Ring it out well so the rag is barely damp. Too much water can ruin the leather. Keep the other two rags dry.
- Clean one section of the leather jacket at a time. With your damp rag, gently rub a section of the jacket to wash it. Follow with the dry rag. Wipe the section you just washed until it is dry. Repeat this process until your entire red leather jacket has been washed.
- Condition your leather. When you put any moisture on leather it causes the natural oils in the fabric to fade. This will make your red leather jacket dry out and crack. Conditioning your leather is the most important step to cleaning a red leather jacket. You can purchase leather conditioner wherever leather is sold for a very inexpensive price.