Learning how to clean your vintage Rolex watches will keep your timepiece running for a long time. This process will also save you time and money on an already expensive purchase.
What you'll need:
- Solution of mild soap and water
- Soft brushes
- Locate the crown on your vintage Rolex watch. The crown is the small crank that moves the hands of the watch. If the crown is loose, screw it firmly into place with just your hands. Tightening the crown adds a seal to the inside of the watch, which keeps moisture out of the clockwork.
- Using jewelry cleaner or mild soap, make a diluted solution of either product. Use the jewelry cleaner for those dirty jobs.
- Dip the brush in the solution and begin gently cleaning away dirt and grime. Look for any grooves or valleys in the watch where dirt can build up.
- Focus on the links of the watch band. Dirt and sweat can build up and can be very difficult to remove. If possible, take the band off the watch and soak the band for a few minutes. Move each link as far away from each other as possible to show any hidden dirt. This will dislodge any remaining particles in the band.
- Complete the same step above for the clasp, focusing on hard to reach places.
- Completely dry the Rolex with a smooth cloth.
- Do not submerge your vintage Rolex. It might have lost its ability to resist water over the years.
- Do not attempt to take your Rolex apart unless you are experienced.
- Only use mild soaps. Never use hard abrasives or solvents when cleaning your Rolex.
- You will know when your watch is clean when the solution used runs clear instead of a dull brown.
- If you are unsure, take your precious vintage Rolex to a specialist at your local Rolex shop.
Cleaning your Rolex timepiece yourself will save you time and money, while keeping your precious timepiece as beautiful as the day you bought it.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
Because for women, denim is truth serum.
15 Types of Tattoos Worth the Newfound Health Risks
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
15 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.