How To Clean Sperry Water Shoes
Sperry shoes are a popular brand of shoe which is made to withstand the wear and tear of being around water. These “boat shoes” have become a timeless classic. It is easy to clean Sperry water shoes. They are durable, but can get dirty and smelly after wearing repeatedly.
- Leather pretreatment
- Soft bristle brush
- Pencil eraser
- White Vinegar
- Clean cloth
- Fabric softener sheets
- Odor-absorbing powder or spray
- Spray your new Sperry water shoes with a leather pre-treatment product. Follow the application instructions on the bottle. Pre-treating your shoes before you wear them for the first time will protect the leather from dirt and make them more water-resistant.
- Clean your Sperry water shoes when needed. Start by removing the laces from the shoes. Brush the Sperry shoes with a soft bristled brush to remove any dirt from the leather. If the shoes are wet, allow the shoes to dry completely before brushing.
- Remove dry stains and marks with a pencil eraser. Gently erase any stains. Be very careful not to rub too hard which could cause discoloration in the area.
- Dampen a clean cloth. Dip the edge of the cloth into a small amount of vinegar. Gently rub the shoe with the cloth until the dirt is removed. Allow your clean Sperry water shoes to air dry. Avoid drying them in the sun which could cause them to fade.
- Re-apply the leather pretreatment to the shoes. After you clean the water shoes and allow them to dry, pre-treat to make them resistant to dirt and water once again.
- Spray inside the Sperry shoes with an odor absorbing product. This will remove any odors that may be inside. If you have a problem with constant odor, try putting a used dryer sheet inside the shoe after every use to keep them fresh.
Tips: The shoes will smell like vinegar while they are wet, but the odor will dissipate once dried.