How To Clean Suede Leather
Knowing how to clean suede leather is a very simple process if you know what to use. Suede is a very delicate leather to clean because the wrong solution will ruin it. The key to cleaning suede is to maintain this simple process throughout the life of the suede product or garment you want to keep clean. If you let suede get too dirty, it will not clean properly.
Things you will need.
- Art Gum eraser
- fine grit sand paper or nail file.
- Soft copper suede brush.
- Knead the art gum eraser in your hands between your hands and fingers. You can purchase this at your local art store.
- Lay the suede leather on a sturdy flat surface. Make sure this surface is clean and dry.
- Rub the dirt stains gently with the gum eraser. Use the same rubbing motion on the suede leather as if you were erasing pencil marks off a piece off paper. Make sure to clean suede around the cuffs elbow and neckline if the you are cleaning a suede leather jacket or suede shirt. if you are cleaning a piece of furniture place close attention to the corners where dirt and suede matting will occur
- Increase pressure and rub in circular motion. Use this rubbing method for tougher stains.
- Brush suede leather with the sand paper or nail file. Rub gently to pull up the nap on suede that has matted down. Brush the entire piece of leather with a soft copper suede brush. This will make the suede leather will look uniform and prevent the suede leather from matting down. Matting is a characteristic of suede leather.
Remember maintenance is the key to cleaning suede leather products or garments. Make it a point to look over your suede products regularly and use this method to remove dirt. Warning: Brush suede leather nap to keep suede from matting down and becoming shinny and smooth. Once the suede gets too dirty and becomes shiny, it will make cleaning impossible.