That new suede sofa was an investment, so it's time to learn about how to clean suede sofas. With a few basic items and the investment of your time, your suede sofa will bring you years of soft, loving comfort.
Things You Will Need:
- Suede Napping Brush (Commonly found at shoe repair shops)
- Specialty Suede cleaning cloth
- Dry Sponge
- Waterproofing or stain repellent (optional, but recommended)
- Suede Eraser or Brown Gum Eraser
Routine maintenance is the key to keeping your suede sofa looking beautiful.
- Inspect all crevices for hidden spots or spills, deal with these immediately to lessen the chance of staining.
- Vacuum a suede sofa on a regular basis. This keeps the nap fresh and also eliminates nasty dust which can wear on the suede.
- Consider a waterproofing or stain repellent made specifically for suede to help prevent serious spills.
- Wet spills should be cleaned up quickly. Use a gentle circular motion, being careful not to bunch up the nap.
- Routine wipe downs with a specially designed suede cleaning cloth will also keep the nap happy and dust free.
Cleaning a suede sofa in the event of a spill or spots.
- Follow manufacturers recommended cleaning instructions.
- Never use cleaners or chemicals that are not made for suede specifically. Always test a new suede cleaner in an inconspicuous spot first. Better to be safe than sorry.
- If you noticed spots or stains, you can use a suede eraser or even a brown gum eraser to gently rub out the stain. Do not use regular pink erasers as they can ruin the nap.
- Vinegar can be used to clean suede. Use diluted and always test in an inconspicuous spot first. Dry promptly with clean towels.
- Always work in a circular motion and always gently. Rubbing to hard or vigorously will wear out the nap, and the nap is what makes suede soft and luscious.
- After a gentle cleaning you can use a hair dryer on a low setting to speed up drying. Never wet suede, Just dampen. Wet suede creates unsightly rings when it dries.
- You can brush the suede with a napping brush, and then dry sponge to set it into a clean lying nap.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.