That new suede sofa was an investment, so it's time to learn about how to clean suede sofas. With a few basic items and the investment of your time, your suede sofa will bring you years of soft, loving comfort.
Things You Will Need:
- Suede Napping Brush (Commonly found at shoe repair shops)
- Specialty Suede cleaning cloth
- Dry Sponge
- Waterproofing or stain repellent (optional, but recommended)
- Suede Eraser or Brown Gum Eraser
Routine maintenance is the key to keeping your suede sofa looking beautiful.
- Inspect all crevices for hidden spots or spills, deal with these immediately to lessen the chance of staining.
- Vacuum a suede sofa on a regular basis. This keeps the nap fresh and also eliminates nasty dust which can wear on the suede.
- Consider a waterproofing or stain repellent made specifically for suede to help prevent serious spills.
- Wet spills should be cleaned up quickly. Use a gentle circular motion, being careful not to bunch up the nap.
- Routine wipe downs with a specially designed suede cleaning cloth will also keep the nap happy and dust free.
Cleaning a suede sofa in the event of a spill or spots.
- Follow manufacturers recommended cleaning instructions.
- Never use cleaners or chemicals that are not made for suede specifically. Always test a new suede cleaner in an inconspicuous spot first. Better to be safe than sorry.
- If you noticed spots or stains, you can use a suede eraser or even a brown gum eraser to gently rub out the stain. Do not use regular pink erasers as they can ruin the nap.
- Vinegar can be used to clean suede. Use diluted and always test in an inconspicuous spot first. Dry promptly with clean towels.
- Always work in a circular motion and always gently. Rubbing to hard or vigorously will wear out the nap, and the nap is what makes suede soft and luscious.
- After a gentle cleaning you can use a hair dryer on a low setting to speed up drying. Never wet suede, Just dampen. Wet suede creates unsightly rings when it dries.
- You can brush the suede with a napping brush, and then dry sponge to set it into a clean lying nap.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.