Need to learn how to clean velvet? This luxurious fabric is used for curtains, upholstery, clothing and many other household items. Velvet is a plush material that can be difficult to clean or maintain, but with the right supplies and knowledge, you can keep it looking beautiful.
To clean velvet, you'll need:
- A vacuum with a brush attachment
- Mild dish detergent
- Soft cloths
- A basin or bucket
- Absorbent or microfiber cloths (optional)
- A soft-bristled brush (optional)
- Use the vacuum brush attachment to clean any dirt or dust from the velvet. Go over the material gently and in one direction, then the other, until anything loose has been removed. This helps prepare the velvet for a deeper cleaning.
- Fill your basin or bucket with lukewarm water. Add a small amount of dish detergent to the water. Mix the solution well.
- Dip a soft cloth into the water. Wring it out and wipe the velvet gently. You can go over the entire material or just spot clean it. Try to wipe in one direction, but if there are stains, you may have to go in a circular motion.
- Use the absorbent cloth to soak up any excess water. Wipe over the surface of the velvet. Make sure the nap is facing upward; this will allow it to dry uniformly.
- Brush the velvet when it's fully dry. Use the vacuum brush or a soft-bristled brush. This step is optional, but it can help restore the nap after a cleaning.
Velvet should be spot cleaned when any spills occur. If your velvet has lost its luster, you can steam it when running the hot shower. Just hang it up for a few minutes in the bathroom with the hot water running, and allow the steam to work its magic. Velvet clothing shouldn't be washed in a washing machine, only dry cleaned.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.