How To Clean Vintage Athletic Shoes
You dig your old athletic shoes out of storage and your next concern is how to clean vintage athletic shoes without ruining them. While vintage athletic shoes are often well-made, they can still be damaged. Avoid the risk of your vintage athletic shoes falling apart in the wash by handling them gently. Make sure the shoes are completely dry after cleaning before you wear them to avoid weakening the seams and keep them from picking up a mildew odor.
Things you'll need:
- Washbasin that holds at least two gallons of water
- One scoop oxygen wash
- Warm water
- One scoop laundry detergent
- Soft-bristled scrub brush
- Fan or direct sunlight
- Place the shoes in the empty washbasin. Make sure the washbasin is taller than the vintage athletic shoes.
- Pour the scoop of oxygen wash over the toe area and inside the shoes. Dusting the powder over the tops of the shoes will make sure it goes everywhere it's needed.
- Fill the washbasin with warm water until the shoes are covered. Make sure no part of the shoe is sticking out of the water for best results.
- Agitate the water with your hand to mix the oxygen wash and warm water. The powder will dissolve quickly in the warm water.
- Soak the shoes in the oxygen wash for at least half an hour. Allowing the oxygen wash to soak in thoroughly will help kill bacteria existing in the shoe and will make the shoes will come out cleaner.
- Add the laundry detergent directly to the oxygen wash water. Do not drain the oxygen wash water because the oxygen wash and detergent will work together.
- Scrub the shoes gently with the soft-bristled brush. Pay special attention to visibly soiled areas. If you have any stubborn stains, let the shoes soak another half hour and scrub again.
- Rinse the shoes with clean water. Let the water run out until the shoes stop dripping when you hold them up.
- Wrap the shoes in the towel to absorb excess water.
- Place the shoes either in direct sunlight or in front of a fan to dry. Expect it to take several hours or overnight for them to dry completely.