Knowing how to clean vintage crystal that you own is essential for making the most of its exquisite beauty. Vintage crystal is extremely fragile, and needs to be handled properly while you clean it. You can make one heck of an impression by pulling out your sparkling vintage crystal for a special social occasion.
Get the following supplies ready to wash your expensive vintage crystal:
- White vinegar
- Gentle liquid dish detergent
- 1 or 2 gallons of distilled water
- Small, thin Microfiber cleaning rag
- 2 large bath towels
- Very large plastic bowl
- Large, thin microfiber drying towel
- Clean the kitchen sink, and rinse it well. Plug the sink. Put in about 6 inches of hot water. Add a squirt of liquid dish detergent. Add 1 cup of white vinegar. Swish this around a bit to make some suds.
- Line the sink with one of the bath towels. Push it down into the sink, and bring it up so it lines the sides. Weight down the edges of the towel with items in your kitchen if necessary, so it doesn’t fall in. Now your sink is lined in softness, so you won’t accidentally chip your vintage crystal.
- Get your rinse bowl ready. Line the plastic bowl with the second bath towel. Pour in enough distilled water that you’ll be able to submerse the crystal pieces.
- Wash one piece of crystal at a time in the sink. Use the microfiber cleaning rag to wash gently. Rinse briefly with hot water from the tap.
- Rinse in the rinse bowl. Replace the distilled rinse water when it becomes sudsy. Distilled water doesn’t leave spots on crystal.
- Dry your vintage crystal with the microfiber drying towels.
Now you’re ready to invite guests to enjoy your good taste in glassware. Remember, if a piece gets chipped or broken, take it in stride, be a graceful host, and appreciate the fact that you enjoyed the glass while you had it.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.