How To Clean Vintage Diamond Watches
Need to know how to clean vintage diamond watches? A beautiful vintage diamond watch is a treasure! In order to preserve the luster of the diamond settings, your watch must be cleaned carefully and gently on a regular basis. Unlike other pieces of diamond jewelry, it is unsafe to submerge your diamond watch in a cleaning solution. Vintage watches, depending on their age, may not have waterproof qualities, and you don't want to damage the working mechanism of a vintage watch. Before running off to a professional jewelry cleaner, there is a safe and effective cleaning process you can do right from home. Follow these easy steps to safely clean dull or lifeless diamonds.
To clean a vintage diamond watch, you will need:
- A soft brush
- Mild dishwashing detergent
- A soft cloth
- Use a soft brush to remove surface dirt. A soft bristle toothbrush is recommended. Gently lift the dirt from each diamond setting. You may need to apply a bit of pressure to clean the diamonds.
- Create a solution with water and a mild detergent. Most dishwashing detergents work great. Lightly dip the brush into the solution and clean each diamond. Lightly brush over the settings as well to remove any dirt that may be lodged between the prongs.
- Dry each diamond individually with a lint-free cloth. Instantly, you should see the brilliance, luster and clarity return to the diamonds on your treasured timepiece.
- Never use any ammonia-based cleaning solution. Using this type of cleaner could wear down the metal of each setting and damage your vintage diamond watch.