Learn how to clean vintage mink coats and give these luxurious garments a new life. Mink coats are beautiful. Vintage mink coats that have withstood the test of time might need some extra care than a new mink coat, but the beauty is worth it. When an older mink coat is still in good condition but just needs a good cleaning, it's possible to do it yourself and save money.
To clean vintage mink coats, you will need:
- Bed sheet
- Blow dryer
- Cloth garment bag
- Lay a bed sheet on a table. Set the vintage mink coat on top of the bed sheet. This will catch any of the cornstarch during cleaning. Lay the mink coat on top of the bed sheet. If possible, clean the mink coat outside, perhaps on top of a patio table or picnic table.
- Sprinkle cornstarch on the mink. On one side of the mink coat that is facing up, sprinkle it with cornstarch. Cornstarch absorbs oils and dirt and any odors that may have collected in the vintage mink coat.
- Dab at the fur with a damp cloth. Carefully wipe from the base of the fur up to clean the vintage mink coat. If needed, rinse the cloth with fresh water and continue.
- Repeat on the other side of the mink coat. When the first side is finished, turn the vintage mink coat over and sprinkle cornstarch on it. Wipe the second side with the cloth.
- Hang the coat outside. Hang the vintage mink on a sturdy wooden hanger and hang from a clothesline or hook. Blow out the fur with a blow dryer to remove all of the cornstarch.
- Air the mink coat outside. Hang the vintage mink coat outdoors to air. Keep it on the sturdy wooden hanger and hang from a clothesline or hook that allows air to circulate completely around the coat. This will help rid the coat of odors and fluff up the fur.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
13 Pro Wrestling Tales Too Crazy to be True—But They Are!
Because the gnarliest stuff happens when the cameras are off.